CCRA has a mandate to improve the energy efficiency of Metallurgical Processes for the advancement of Canadian Industry and is active in four areas of research where benefits are expected in the short to medium term.
In no particular order the research areas are:
- To understand the fundamental science of coal exploration and coal utilization in order to improve global competiveness of Western Canadian Coal
- To understand the fundamental science of cokemaking and coke utilization in order to improve energy efficiency for blast furnace ironmaking
- To develop the technical understanding to improve energy efficiency for higher productivity and lower coke rate blast furnace operation
- Incorporating the use of bio-base carbon in steel sector
- To develop alternate cokemaking technology: Energy Recovery Coke Oven
- To develop standards or procedures to enhance the knowledge and utilization of Canadian coal and coke.